Mass Mentoring Partnership Grants $500K to 32 Nonprofits
August 21, 2015 Mass Mentoring Partnership, a statewide organization based in Boston that seeks to expand empowering youth-adult relationships statewide, today announced it has granted nearly $500,000 to 32 Massachusetts nonprofits that provide mentoring programs.
The grants, the second year of a two-year grant cycle funded by the state, represents a 25% increase in funding from the previous year and will create and support 1,525 matches, 202 more than last year, according to Mass Mentoring Partnership
Grantees are required to match, dollar-for-dollar, the total amount awarded with cash or in-kind resources.
We are grateful to invest in more matches with this increased funding this year, MMP President and CEO Marty Martinez said. With these grants, were helping programs strengthen communities by making more empowering youth-adult relationships happen across the Commonwealth.
MMP said the grants will lead to improved mentee grades, attendance, and attitude toward school, which in turn leads to increased graduation rates, and a better-prepared, more skilled entry-level workers.
The following programs received the grants, as well as training, technical support, and mentor recruitment assistance from MMP:
The programs receiving funding for the FY2016 grant year are:
- African Community Education - Worcester
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Mass/Metrowest
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Franklin County
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Lowell
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Hampden County
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Hampshire County
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay Cape Cod
- Big Friends Little Friends Fall River
- Big Friends Little Friends Merrimack Valley
- Big Sister Association of Greater Boston
- Boston Partners in Education
- Brockton Christian Mentoring Initiative
- Catholic Charities South Boston T.E.A.M.
- Child Care of the Berkshires
- Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative
- Earthen Vessels Greater Boston
- Falmouth Volunteers in Public Schools
- Generations Incorporated Greater Boston
- Girls, Inc. of Lynn
- Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters
- John Andrew Mazie Memorial Foundation Framingham/Waltham
- LUK, Inc. Fitchburg
- Melrose Alliance Against Violence
- Old Colony YMCA Brockton
- Partners for Youth with Disabilities Greater Boston
- Quincy Asian Resources Incorporated
- Railroad Street Youth Project Great Barrington
- Raw Art Works Lynn
- Silver Lining Mentoring Greater Boston
- SMILES Fall River and New Bedford
- Springfield School Volunteers
- Taunton Area School to Career
The funds were awarded through a competitive proposal process and community review administered by MMP.
Founded in 1992, MMP serves more than 250 mentoring programs statewide that support 33,000 youth in mentoring relationships.